Location: Atlanta, GA
Salary Range: $13.75 – $15.75 /hour
Employment Type: Full Time
Department: Community Services
Description: The Atlanta Community Food Bank is a nonprofit organization supplying food and grocery items to over 600 partner agencies serving families and individuals in 29 metro Atlanta and North Georgia counties.
The Community Garden Volunteer Group Leader is to support the Community Service Group’s Community Gardening services. This position requires that you work Tuesday through Saturday work schedule with availability needed for most mornings. The Volunteer Group Leader will report to the Community Garden Manager.
Duties: Purposes, Responsibilities and Duties
1. To support the ACFB Community Gardening volunteer program as a group leader.
a. Communicate with scheduled volunteer group contacts in advance of scheduled work days
b. Training and supervising volunteers on site on day of service.
c. Providing tools, materials, refreshments for garden workdays.
d. Care for safety and appreciation of volunteers.
e. Lead groups in clean-up of work areas and equipment at end of shift.
f. Give written evaluations on volunteer experiences.
g. Keep accurate inventory and volunteer data records.
h. Communicate volunteer needs to the Community Garden Manager and Volunteer Department liaisons.
2. To Support Community Gardens and ACFB programs and facilities.
a. Work collaboratively with other Community Services Group community building initiatives, including Food Oasis.
b. Coordinating the Atlanta Area Plant a Row for the Hungry data collection process, including training and assisting Community Garden interns.
c. Working collaboratively with and provide support to the Food Well Alliance, the Captain Planet Foundation, the Atlanta Local Food Initiative and others that also provide services to our shared network of community, learning and therapeutic gardens.
d. Coordinate inventory and distribution of vegetable seeds to community partners.
e. Maintaining the Community Garden storage area and tool inventory at acceptable levels of cleanliness and order.
f. Ensure an adequate inventory of bottled water and snacks required for garden work days.
g. Provide other assistance to Community Gardens, including technical and mechanical support.
h. Other duties as assigned by ACFB Community Garden Manager.
1. High school diploma or equivalent. Education in the horticulture field preferred.
1. Minimum one (1) year outdoor gardening experience; Ability to operate power and standard equipment (rototiller, rakes, shovels, etc.) in a safe and efficient manner (training available)
2. Intermediate MS Office and Outlook skills.
3. Good verbal and written communication skills.
4. Enjoy working with individuals of all ages.
5. Dependable, a team player, and work with little supervision.
6. Ability to safely operate gardening tools and equipment and follow safety policies and procedures.
7. Comfortable working outdoors in the open environment with varying temperatures and be able to lift up to 50-70 pounds routinely.
8. Able to work in a fast paced environment.
9. Able to work a flexible work schedule.
10. Able to qualify to drive a fleet cargo van with trailer, have a valid driver’s license and a safe driving record and familiarity driving within the Atlanta metropolitan area.
1. 1 year volunteer management experience
2. Experience with community outreach programs and training/leading participants.
3. Experience with meeting and event planning.