Technical Assistant II U of M
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Stockbridge School of Agriculture
Assist with the coordination of daily operations of the Student Farming Enterprise Program, including oversight of vegetable and fruit program production systems at both the UMass Crop Research and Education Center and UMass Agricultural Learning Center. Provide supervision of student employees enrolled in the UMass Student Farming Enterprise program.
- Farm Management Coordinate and manage vegetable production at UMass Crop Research and Education Center and UMass Agricultural Learning Center, including soil management, planting, crop maintenance, harvest and delivery. Operate and maintain farm equipment. Instruct students on farm equipment use and safety. Implement standard operating procedures based on sound, evidence based best management practice protocols to ensure the safety of students on the farm. Conduct daily inspection of farm in support of mandated food safety regulation compliance. Supervise student employees enrolled in the Student Farming Enterprise program. Prepare farm plans for submission to Baystate Organic (a certifying agency). Coordinate integrated pest management plan including application of approved pesticides as needed on the farm. Coordinate delivery of vegetables from farm to various markets. Assist with farm improvements as needed
- Instructional Support Develop overall farm plan spreadsheet design, student assignments, handouts and other instructional tools for beginning farmers. Edit and compile annual Student Farm Handbook. Coordinate student group visits and tours, prepares educational handout materials for meetings and tours, and coordinate logistics for hosted events at the UMass Crop Research and Education Center and UMass Agricultural Learning Center.
- Administration Maintain accurate financial records for revenue generated from the sale of vegetables. Write narrative content and acquire quotes for supplies and equipment for use in the preparation of grant proposals. Develop website content and social media pages.
- Technical Instruction Instruct employees and students on proper equipment operation, safety and maintenance as specified by the Stockbridge School of Agriculture. Work alongside student employees and provide instruction/feedback in the tasks necessary for sustainable vegetable production.
- Operates motor vehicles to perform farm related tasks.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Work collaboratively and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality and inclusiveness. In the performance of work, take initiative and operate with self-direction. Work in partnership with colleagues within the CNS community and across the campus to support the Dean’s strategic priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the mission and goals of the College of Natural Sciences.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Five years experience working on farms with organic vegetable production systems.
- Strong familiarity with organic agriculture and local food systems.
- Excellent communications skills and ability to work independently and cooperatively.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Familiarity with farm equipment operation and safety.
- Willingness to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Ability to perform manual tasks associated with vegetable crop production and sales.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to use software such as word processing, spreadsheets and web design
- Ability to organize, set priorities and follow through on tasks.
- Ability to handle difficult situations in an appropriate manner.
- Must hold Class D Massachusetts driver’s license.
- Pesticide Applicators License
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively and work productively in establishing and maintaining harmonious working relationships with a diverse population of faculty, staff and students.
- Ability to organize and prioritize goals; ability to collaborate well to formulate plans and objectives in accordance with overall college goals; ability to identify and implement process improvements.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to set and meet deadlines while maintaining high standards of accuracy and quality.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Bachelor’s degree in agricultural sciences preferred.
For more information: http://careers.umass.edu/amherst/en-us/job/496509/technical-assistant-ii-u-of-m