Employer: Urban Roots
Position: Youth Farm Specialist
Location: Austin, TX
Report to: Programs Director & Farm Director
Preferred start date: August 1
Hiring Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Who We Are:
Urban Roots is a rapidly growing non-profit organization that uses food and
farming to transform the lives of young people and inspire, engage, and
nourish the community. On a 3 1⁄2 acre urban farm, Urban Roots provides
teenagers and young adults paid service opportunities that strengthen them as
leaders while building professional and life skills. Urban Roots engages young
people to practice meaningful hard work, to connect with the land and food,
and to serve their community. In addition, each year we engage more than one
thousand volunteers through farm work days, provide educational tours to
school and community groups, and donate thousands of pounds of farm-fresh
produce to local hunger relief agencies.
The Guiding Principles of Urban Roots:
1. We provide a High Quality, Transformational Experience for youth and
2. We celebrate “Rigor” and Meaningful, Hard Work.
3. We build Strong Relationships.
4. We cultivate Intentionality in our work.
5. We engage our work with a Spirit of Celebration and Joy.
6. We Honor and Respect Diversity.
The Urban Roots Youth Farm Specialist (YFS) ensures the success of youth and
community members engaged in Urban Roots’ unique ecosystem of multiple year-
round youth leadership development programs and supports Urban Roots’
agricultural activities, using sustainable farming practices to maintain a
productive community farm. Working closely with the Programs Director and the
Farm Director, the YFS coordinates and leads young people (14-23) through UR
innovative youth development techniques, integrating farm work, field trips to
local soup kitchens, and farmers’ markets and provides critical agricultural
support in crop management, harvesting, processing, irrigation, and farm and
orchard maintenance work. This position will be the key liaison between the
farm and program teams during youth programming on the Urban Roots farm,
requiring a love for growing food and meaningful hard work and the ability to
share and model this interest and passion to youth.
We are looking for you, if:
– You love building meaningful relationships with young people and supporting
their personal and professional growth, and know how to balance effective
supervision with building strong relationships
– You thrive when leading groups, and enjoy creating empowering opportunities
for others to accomplish challenging tasks efficiently
– You are committed to justice and sustainability, have a great sense of
humor, and view yourself as someone still learning and growing
– You possess supreme organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple
projects with grace
– You have one or more seasons of experience with organic or sustainable food
production and one or more years working with young people from diverse
– You are willing to work Saturdays and weekday evenings and are energized by
working in a fast-paced, outdoor environment in all types of weather
– You have a valid driver’s license, a good driving record, ability to safely
drive a UPS-style box truck and a 15-passenger van, and are able to lift up to
This is a full-time position with a salary range starting at $30,000. Benefits
include paid time off, a healthcare salary adjustment, farm fresh produce, and
a fun and flexible work culture.
Submit your resume and a detailed cover letter describing your team leadership
style and explaining what inspires you about this role to
email@example.com. Please reference “Youth Farm Specialist Search” in the
subject line. No Phone calls please.