Rodgers Greens & Roots Farm is a certified organic farm, located 30 minutes southwest of Atlanta in Douglasville, Georgia, on 64 acres of historic farmland along the Chattahoochee River. Currently, 15 acres of flat clay-loam soil are under cultivation using organic practices.
The farm’s Owner and Operator, Ashley Rodgers, has been farming in Georgia organically for her entire career. Ashley previously managed Serenbe Farms in Chattahoochee Hills, GA, as well as vegetable production for White Oak Pastures, in Bluffton, GA, and Planted Rock Farm in Chattahoochee Hills, GA. You can learn more about Ashley and her farming practices/beliefs on the following media: CBS Sunday Morning, Women’s Health Magazine, and Civil Eats. We sell our produce at the Peachtree Road Farmers Market, the Morningside Farmers Market, both in Atlanta, and to Metro-Atlanta area restaurants, our own CSA and wholesale.
The farm’s growing style is medium-scale, mechanized production: tractors, tools and machinery, however, we are not a big AG farm. Sustainable farming practices are the backbone of Rodgers Greens and Roots: compost, cover crop, and crop rotation. We are a young, liberal-minded farming family and crew. We are an equal opportunity employer without discrimination and are accepting applications from anyone interested in applying for this position.JOB DESCRIPTION
We are hiring one full-time Harvest/Field Manager. We are seeking someone with 2 years of experience in small to medium scale organic vegetable production. This is a full-time permanent year-round position and can be an excellent opportunity for someone looking to stay on a farm for more than a season. We will be accepting applications until the position has been filled.
The Full-time Harvest/Field Manager will work alongside the assistant farm manager and field manager, and will focus on assisting in the growth and maintenance of the farm’s crops through cultivation, irrigation, pest and disease prevention and application, row covers, trellising, and field clean-up. Harvesting, washing, packing and distribution of vegetables to farmer’s markets and restaurants will also be the primary role of this position. Harvest, wash and pack will be for a variety of outlets, as we sell to wholesale clients, restaurants and farmers markets. We grow a wide variety of vegetables, experience with harvesting a large variety of crops is important.
- Lead Farm Crew of 4 to 5 through harvesting, washing, and packing vegetables for wholesale, restaurants and farmers market sales.
- Irrigation installation and running of schedules
- Cultivation and weed control. With tractor and some hand cultivation with farm crew.
- Crop Maintenance: pest and disease prevention and application, row covers, trellising, and field clean-up
- Tractor work: primarily tillage, bush hogging, and cultivation, will be expected after a significant training period
- 2 years of full-time previous farming experience in organic vegetable production
- A serious interest in farming as a lifestyle and livelihood
- A mind for efficiency, attention to detail, organization and a sense of urgency
- Open and positive communication skills
- Willingness to take initiative and take on responsibility
- Experience leading a farm crew
- Proficient in: harvesting all types of vegetables, washing, bunching and packing.
- Proficient in crop maintenance : weeding, row covers, pest and disease control, installing drip tape and other forms of irrigation.
$600/week for 6 months, with potential for a pay increase after 6 months.
We do not currently have housing available. However, there is a possibility for housing.
Future Opportunities: This position has room for growth if the first season goes well and is a mutually beneficial relationship, this would include an increase in responsibility and a pay increase. We are looking for farmers to grow with us.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying for this position please email your professional resume and cover letter with a paragraph about why you feel you would be a great fit for this position to: Ashley Rodgers at firstname.lastname@example.org.